Ok, we're embarrassed. About a month or 2 ago we decided to set out on a little mid-evening greenlaning. At 8:30 we got stuck. At 4a.m we got home. This is the story of the seven and a half hours in between.
In the UK right now it's raining. Heavily. A local ford near to FunRover HQ usually swells a little under heavy rain, but has topped 3 foot yesterday, with more rain overnight, it's likely it has risen further. We decided to pop down yesterday to see what was happening (and admittedly to try plunge through it in the Landy) but someone had tried it in a Merecedes Benz sports car. The 2 occupants were ok but had to be rescued by the fire service. The lights remained on hours after the car had been ditched. It's surprising they hadn't shorted out!
We need your feedback on whether you'd be interested in us building our line of Defenders, with a unique FunRover twist.
Recently I got a bit stuck whilst working on the Landy. Literally. I've been working over the brakes recently and needed to remove the calliper bolts. Trouble is, years of corrosion, a high torque setting & awkward access consider against me. The calliper bolts are 12 point bi-hex heads and so you need the proper socket head to remove it, which I went out and bought. However, because the indents are quite small and the bolt was in poor condition, the whole thing rounded off very quickly.
In the office, we've recently been considering creating our own line of Land Rover accessories and upgrades. However, we wanted to ask you guys and girls, the FunRover community, your thoughts and feelings on such news. Our ultimate goal is to not make just another generic, dull and uninspiring range of products - and let's face it, there are a lot of "me too" type products around.
Since trying out the Mud Curry Hooks we reviewed a few months back, we've become huge fans of MUD Products. All of their products are custom designed and sourced to a very exacting standard. The best part of MUD products though, they are designed by people who own and love Land Rovers, since 2003. Thats why MUD Products are are probably one of the best all round packages you can buy on the market. Today, we're looking over their rear door trim piece, replacing those old vinyl covered hardboard pieces and ugly gray trim pieces. The MUD item is a rugged, attractive, all-in-one design that really smartens up your interior.
Most of the things we've reviewed so far have involved heavy lifting, freezing cold hours spent wrenching away and lot's of thought. It was nice to have a simple, yet very effective product to install for a change. The Leather Gaiter by Exmoor Trim is a very simple fit indeed. In fact, install probably took less than two minutes and requires no tools what so ever.
We've had a whole host of parts be delivered to FunRover HQ and we're working through bolting them on. One of the highest priority items was a good quality wheel carrier, in our case, a swingaway type. For those of you who are not familiar with these, essentially, they allow for practical positioning of the spare wheel, right out on the back of the rear door. Land Rover offer their very own rear door wheel mount, but this physical mounts to the door and is known to apply extra stress to moving parts in the door. It's also quite precarious for use with larger and heavier aftermarket wheels, such as the KN Predators and 265 STTS we use. To give us a safe and stronger mounting place for the wheel, we ordered a Bearmach Swingaway Wheel carrier (avaialble for Series Land Rovers through to the latest TDCI models).
Many of you will notice the fancy set of boots our test 90 now sports. The wheels in question are the KN Predator, finished in a gloss Black. These snazzy looking wheels have taken us all over the UK, on and off-road and today we're offering up our thoughts after running them for a few months.
Discoverer STT's are Cooper's premium "high void or traction tire", with an 80% leaning towards off-road use. That said, these tyres really pack a lot of punches with the remaining 20% assigned to on-road driving.